Silver Pen Writing Competition 2022
Now Accepting Essay Submissions
The Lakes at Litchfield will be awarding three local high school seniors with cash prizes up to $2,500 to assist with their post-graduate plans.
This year’s submissions are based on the topic: Today there are over 5 billion people that have a cellular phone. Do you feel like owning a cell phone has made a positive or negative impact on the world today? Do you think that cell phones have created an improvement in communication, or have they created more disconnect between people?
The Lakes at Litchfield’s parent company, Senior Living Communities, established the Silver Pen Writing Competition in 2012. It began as a way to bridge the communication gap between high school seniors and senior citizens who live in the local area. Since the program began 9 years ago, Senior Living Communities and The Silver Pen Writing Competition have awarded more than $386,000 to assist students for college and trade school expenses.
“The Silver Pen Scholarship is an extraordinary opportunity for our Members to connect with the local community and support these talented students,” says Tim Layton, The Lakes at Litchfield’s executive director. Members at The Lakes at Litchfield form The Silver Pen Committee. They play an essential role during this competition as they oversee the essay topic selection, evaluating the submissions, and awarding the three prizes. “Our Members enjoy the responsibility that comes with this competition. It’s a unique and meaningful way for them to give back to students who have worked hard and showcased their writing skills in their essay submission.”
- All high school seniors who live or attend school within 25 miles of the community they are applying to
- Community employees and children of employees
- Residents limited families – grand (great grand) children, nieces and nephews (grand nieces and nephews)
- Essay must be the applicant’s original work
- Applicants may only enter one time. If you enter at more than one site you will be disqualified
- Essays must be a minimum of 1000 words and double spaced.
- Please include a cover page and any necessary citations on a works cited page
- Quotations may be used sparingly and sources must be clearly identified
- It is recommended that a teacher or professor reviews the essay before submission
Submissions are now being accepted for the 2022 Silver Pen Awards, now through February 11, 2022. Award recipients will be announced in Spring 2022. High school seniors are encouraged to submit early. For the full rules and to submit an essay, visit Silverpen-slc.com